How to make a DIY Himmeli Wreath when you have the crafting patience of a gnat. A 17 step process.
- Covet expensive wreath for months.
- See CB2 ornaments* and have genius DIY idea.
- Purchase 15 ornaments with manic gleam in eye whilst sales clerk gives you the side eye and your 7-year-old maybe destroys a display.
- Deconstruct ornaments.
- Wire ornaments together randomly, sure that your genius will triumph.
- Go to hang brilliant wreath only to discover it is sad and falling apart.
- Add more wire. More wire will make it work.
- Realize more wire is not the problem.
- Open a bottle of wine (should have done this first).
- Take it all apart. Start over.
- Get up in disgust, tell husband to fix it, go to bed.
- Come downstairs to finished wreath**.
- Decide not to feel inferior because look, pretty wreath.
- Post on the interwebs claiming credit because was your idea.
Now I just need to find the perfect place for it. There have been some suggestions.
*no longer available. I’m sorry. They do have the silver ones, I have another idea I’m working on with those. Or rather, another project I’m likely going to get frustrated with and then leave out on the couch overnight for my wreath making elves.
**the real directions are pretty much what I’ve posted, he’s just better at geometric visualization. Play with placement of ornaments, wire them up, add the next. You have to put some tension on it to create the wreath shape and every fourth ornament or so has to turn to create that star point. If they all face the same direction there is no structural integrity.