I stumbled across this list of 25 things about me written several years ago. It’s generally still true, I still swear in front of my kids, refuse to hem pants and get tired of gardening by August. Photo 2009, by Todd Rosenberg
1. I’m really tired most of the time. Ok, all of the time.
2. Both my kids came very early and were rushed off to the NICU. I feel random guilt about this and still get kind of weepy every time I see a “TV moment” where everyone’s happy and the baby is placed on the chest. I saw one of those tonight, so now its in the note.
3. If I wasn’t in arts education I’d probably be an interior designer. I really like to waste time rearranging furniture and thinking about that stuff. (Instead, four years later I’m starting a blog)
4. I am frequently amazed that a dance education that began in Arkansas led to such a fantastic career.
5. I met my husband when I was 19. Which seems kind of ridiculous now.
6. I don’t like to hem pants so I wear heels most of the time. But only comfortable heels, they have to pass the Roan test.
7. I’m huge advocate of breastfeeding and have nursed my preemies waaaay past most people’s comfort level.
8. I had no idea I was so granola about some things till I became a parent.
9. I swear in front of my kids. Roan used to say dammit a lot. It seems to have slowed down now.
10. I was a vegetarian for 10 years, but since it turned out not to be a life decision I feel weird saying it, like I’m trying to be cool but I’m faking it.
11. I was on the drill team in high school. Pretty much everyone who knows me now has to see photographic proof to believe it. I think that’s probably a good thing.
12. I like to start with things that are completely screwed up and fix them so everything is my way. At least with houses and jobs.
13. I really like to get my own way. But I like to think that I’m open-minded.
14. I’m not religious. At all.
15. I yell too much. See #1.
16. I like to garden. Or rather, I like to garden in the spring. I’m usually tired of it by August.
17. My mother is British. My father is from Michigan. They met in a bike club in Michigan. I was born and raised in Arkansas. Where I was once asked “so, what language does your mom speak?”.
18. I’m terrified of ending up like my mother, physically, but can only hope to be as good a mom as she is (I love you Mom).
19. I know some really interesting people these days that I don’t get to spend enough time with.
20. I find it very difficult to create and maintain real friendships as an adult.
21. I’m the person who always promises to write and never does. But I do think about it.
22. I spend too much time on the computer and too little time playing.
23. I wonder what it is I’ve searched on facebook that makes their targeted marketing think I would be interested in botox.
24. I don’t like clutter and mess. I’m trying to reconcile that with life with kids.
25. I moved once a year for 12 years, but have now been in the same house for 8 years.