Oh hello there barn door, aren’t you a sight for sore eyes. It’s not quite finished, we still have some patching to do around the beam, I need to find new homes for the art that Nicole so carefully arranged and I need to paint and install the handles. But I’m calling it done, if for no other reason than I’ve cleaned up all the sawdust and drywall dust that had accumulated all over our bedroom. That’s right, Finn had to build the thing up there. Ugh, what a mess. But so worth it. Want to see some more pictures? Of course you do.
Here it is closed.
I know, the wall is weird there. I think the accommodation we had to make is not too bad though. Yes, the beam is level, its the ceiling that’s not (of course). And here it is from the small one’s room, with a bonus sneak peek of part of his room redo.
He requested it be the same color as the walls. At some point I’ll make it a little more interesting on that side too.
Details of the build, for those who might want to replicate.
We used Stanley barn door hardware, an eight foot trolley with four trolley hangers and two rollers for a 400 lb door. At about $100 it was far cheaper than any other option we found. It only comes in stainless, so we spray painted it Rustoleum’s Oil Rubbed Bronze. The hardware is attached to a 2 x 6 x 8 that Finn mounted directly to the studsafter cutting out a beam shaped hole in the drywall. The beam was stained with Minwax gel stain in Jacobean. Finn built the door from several 10x 6 pine boards, with a masonite backing.
The door is painted with Glidden Mustard Seed. I’m not sure its the right color, it’s a little browner than I wanted. Yellows are tricky. I’ve lightened all these pics as our bedroom is very dark , so the door color here is not quite accurate. I’ll be adding these handles after I spray paint them with the oil rubbed bronze. We had quite the thunderstorm earlier and its humid as all get out now, so that will have to wait a bit.